6 years ago
Tuesday, January 4, 2011
Swim Team>>>
A few weeks ago, I gave Lola the choice between DANCE, and SWIM TEAM. She has taken dance a couple of times in the past and has been taking dance again this fall but what I really want in my heart of hearts is for her to be a great SWIMMER. I gave her the choice, very enthusiastically she chose swim team (thats my girl!!) I have worried that maybe she is a little young, but I was about her age when I started, and so were my younger sisters. So I decided what the HECK< lets go for it. She did awesome!! Lola hasn't been in the water since last summer so she was a little rusty as would be expected. She is also the youngest swimmer there. She had the coach laughing with her enthusiasm. He admitted she would probably do well with a few private stoke development lessons at first and I agree. But he allowed her on the team!!!
I was very emotional watching Lola in her first practice. I remember being a young swimmer, and I really enjoyed it. It was hard work, and you were exhausted and really really hungry when you were done, but you would feel just so good at the same time. But my emotions today were for the memories of being young.
In the Early 80's (1980's that is), my dad had a dream. He wanted to build an athletic club. Now this was before the days of 24 hr. fitness, Gold's gym, and Lifetime fitness. The idea to build a racquet club wasn't completely unique, but the idea of building one in South Jordan, Utah was. At the time South Jordan only had one flashing stop light at the intersection of Redwood and 10400 So. The horses outnumbered the people by about 50 to 1. It was a red neck town. But that didn't detour my dad. He built what was then called the Country Court House (many know it today as Marv Jensen Fitness Center). It was a beautiful private club, with racquetball, swimming, nursery, weightlifting, aerobics, Basketball. It was the awesomest place on the whole entire earth!!! What made it even better is that my dad built it and owned it. I grew up there. I did just about every job from life guard to babysitter (yes, some people trusted me with their kids).
The problem with the Country Court House other than high interest rates in the 1980's is that it was ahead of it's time. South Jordan wan't really ready for something so big and wonderful. My dad poured all his emotions and every last cent to his name into that club but it wasn't enough. Investors came and went, the club has changed it's name a couple of times, but it still stands, and the doors are still open.
Many people have sued my dad due to memberships that were not honored after the club changed ownership. When other's turn and ran from the Lawsuits, my dad stood up like a man and paid them out of his own pocket. Many people tell my dad that the Country Court House was a huge mistake!!! I have even seen my dad shake his head and admit that maybe it was. But it was NOT!!! The facility provides many families with an opportunity for recreation. The Bingham High School swim team wouldn't have the program they have today with out it. The facility itself maybe becoming more on the aged side of life, like us all. But in the end The Country Court House is filled with my youth!! I became a great swimmer, and a great athlete there. I know people that became state swim champions that received full ride collage scholarships as well as national racquetball champions came from that club. Not to mention black belts in Karate, or just simply changed lives by providing a place to excersise and improve health and quality of life.
So I say Thank You Dad!!! Thank you!!! I am so proud to now have my daughter take tennis lessons there and be on the SWIM TEAM!!! I still swim there 2-3x/week. I enjoy it still. I have pride in that building. I'm happy the doors are open and the parking lot is always packed. Dad, I'm sad and sorry you lost all your money chasing your dream, but you should be proud of the legacy you have created.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Wow. The Courthouse. See Lola there really made my day. Next time I come out, I want to go workout there. It's amazing that one single place can be tied to so many memories. That pool is as much a home to me as any address at which I've lived.
Post a Comment