Saturday, September 18, 2010

My Mothers Day Gift Comes To Harvest

my mothers day gift this year was plants for my garden.  I thought I was planting normal pumpkins. Turns out, When this pumpkin kept growing and growing, I finally pulled the tag on this plant and it says "produces fruit up to 100 lbs. uhhh ooops. So I will have a couple of really huge pumpkins and a bunch of normal sized ones. I have learned a lot about pumpkins this year like: one tiny plant will take over your whole back yard. Consuming anything in its path like a raspberry bush and strawberry bushes. Needless to say, we are all excited about the pumpkin harvest. My 3 year old niece Ellie Mae came over last Sunday. She kept calling the pumpkins "pine cones" It was so cute. She kept saying, "There's a mommy pine cone, and a daddy pine cone and baby pine cones."
As I was picking the tomatoes and sitting them on the grass Henry decided he was going to taste test every one of them. He got the same look on his face every time. He didn't really look like he was enjoying the "job" as "head tomato taster" but he would set them to the side after taking a bite, and reach for another. 
I thought I was planting honey dew,  at least that is what the tag said. But when I cut this melon open the fruit is peach like cantaloupe, not green like honey dew. I'm so confused. Gigantic pumpkins, orange honeydew? Whats next?...
I used to help my mom can when I was young. It was fun standing side by side with my mom. We would have great conversations about mostly nothing, but I loved it. I asked my mom to come over and help me with canning peaches last week. It was so great to do that with her again. I think I'm just a little girl at heart that still just would love to hang out with my mom and enjoy her company.

The #1 reason why I want to move from my house now is because I want a bigger yard. I would love an orchard, and a huge garden. I had so much fun this summer growing my "Mothers Day present". Don't walk in my house however, you will know right away where I spent all my extra time this summer, in my yard!! But I love it. 

1 comment:

Noel said...

Wow Heather! Not only are you a cage fighter- you are also Martha! I am impressed! Those cans look gorgeous, and I am jealous of those pumpkins! I might come steal some ;)

My Peeps!