Thursday, March 4, 2010

Real VS. Fairytale!!!

So Lola had a little break down today. I got most of it on video, which I need to learn how to put on my blog. I'll work on that. The jest of it was, are Princess' real? After an eventful trip to Disneyland in January where Lola was so enamoured by the Disney Princess' of course they are real, right? Well Lola believes they are. And I'm not sure what the correct answer is when she asks me for back up on the question. In the past when she asks me straight forward if they are real I reply, "of course the princess are real". What should my answer be? Well Lola has been learning about "fairy tales" at school, so I thought this might be a good time to educate Lola that Disney Princess' are Fairy tales. Oh, you would have thought I had told her that Santa wasn't real. She was VERY upset, and she didn't believe me. So I didn't push the issue. I just asked her, "Lola, what do you believe?" She replied, "Of course they are real mom. Remember, we have been to Disneyland and have seen them with our own eyes. Some girls like Maggie don't really like princess', which I don't know why you would even go to Disneyland if you didn't like them. But me and my friend Mariam know they are real." I had no idea that she felt so strongly about this. She was legitimately upset!! I guess for the time being, I will just go along with it. I don't have it in me to break her heart, but I do feel a little guilt about not being perfectly honest either. And while we are on the subject of "lying" to our children, Lola was really confused about the fact that Mickey, Minnie and Donald didn't talk at all. So we found ourselves lying again, " They don't talk because they need to keep their voices healthy for all the movies they are producing". Honestly, does anyone have a response that is better than that? We are idiots.:D

No comments:

My Peeps!